Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Waiahole Uka - Failure

January 3, 2012

I'd read all I could about this trail over the last year and it's been a priority.  Finally, on January 3rd I had a willing and able, make that more able, partner and some directions to this trail.  We set off on the trail sometime after 6am and made our way along a winding path under the foot of the Ko'olaus towards the ridge that we'd be climbing to the summit.

I could go on about excuses how I was up late the night before, that I'd drank too little or too much, the gravitational pull of the moon, and others but bottom line is I was outclassed with my partner Chris who bounded up the trail like it was a sidewalk.  It was a blessing and a curse that we had clear skies.  The wind was almost completely still and voggy conditions meant no breeze to cool us off.


By the time we reached the start of the ridge I was already soaked in sweat, huffing and puffing, and just plain worn out.  Climbing up through some steep Uluhe we made our way up what is roughly a 2000' climb to the summit of the Ko'olaus.

Clawing my way up the trail, I was taking breaks way too often and was slowing my faster partner.  Eventually I threw in the towel and freed him of my painstakingly slow pace.  Exhausted, I took at nap and a few pictures as he continued on up the trail.  It is here I suspect that I picked up a tick or maybe a couple of ticks that would later infest our home!


I may have failed out of the trail but as I'd later learn, I was pretty much at the end of the steepest climb.  I should have just let Chris go on ahead of me and tried to regroup.  The visibility continued to worsen as the day progress and and the clouds began to form at the top of the Ko'olaus as a slight breeze kicked in.

About as far as I made it.
Eventually Chris returned and we made our way out the way we came.  Oh well, you can't win them all!

 

More pictures from this trail and others I've done can be viewed on Flickr.  Aloha and mahalo for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment