Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Not So Great Ending


Aloha everyone,

Since the start of the new year I've been so busy with life that I've let the blog go.  It's been a wild ride over the last few years and I've been to places on O'ahu I never dreamed existed.  Today I sat battered and bruised from yesterday's overnight adventure debating the future of this blog and have decided that I'm going to let it die.  There are many reasons for this decision but the main one is that I simply can't afford to take the time to do it right anymore.  It takes almost as much time to sort and label images then narrate a trail as it does to do the trail itself and I'm simply not able to dedicate that kind of time to it as my kids get older.  These trails deserve a full account that will be of some value to those who are seeking clues and information rather than just a brief description with a few pictures.  There are plenty of other blogs out there to provide hiking inspiration so the death of this one really won't matter.  Perhaps later on I'll revive if time permits... I enjoy sharing the beauty of this place.

Mahalo to you  all of those who've followed my adventures.  This hobby has transformed my life and I've learned so much about all the places, plants, and history of this island.  I've also met some of the finest hiking partners along the way.  Agnes, Bob (aka II), James, Mike and, Sam:  thank you all for putting up with my 5 more minute estimates and listening to me tell you we're almost there and for allowing me to take hundreds of group photos and shots along the trail.  Also, thank you for keeping me moving when I felt like I was about to die.  The last person I'd like to thank that I've never met, the famous Dayle Turner.  Without his writings I'd have never even known where to start looking.  Thank you to all those who came before me and provided vital information as I sought out old trails which were rarely hiked anymore.   I'll still be posting most of my pictures to my Flickr account if you want to keep track of what I'm up to.

I'll leave with this final thought.  O'ahu is probably the most amazing place on earth.  The deeper you dig the more if offers up.  There truly isn't a better place to call home. 

Safe trails,

XJ



14 comments:

  1. Dave, nice hiking with you today (post blog)! lol. Sad to see your blog come to an end, but I understand why. See you soon on the trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for putting up this blog, it has been a great resource for me. I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand what it takes to put up a first rate blog such as you have. Good luck on your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to see the blog come to an end. You're adventures and write ups were an inspiration to me! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to see the end of your entertaining write-ups. I appreciate all of your insight and helpfulness with my inquiries and for leading a memorable hike up Waikane with the gang. I really hope that someday you'll get to meet Dayle. Perhaps Mar 30th or June 29th?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you will reconsider and keep posting. While what you do is time-consuming, it is appreciated.

    Thanks much for your service.

    --dkt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer... enjoyed reading about your hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. really thankful for all the great info over the last few years, learned and experienced a lot of new things thanks to this blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, you have a great blog. As an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker I had to recently come off the trail due to family problems and a messed up LCL. With the time off I created a large free community site just hiking.

    Since you are a great writer I wanted to see if you would consider making a blog post about the site. I think if you would take a look at it at HikingHikes.com you will see that it has the potential to be a wonderful hiking community. I have no true way of advertising it without spamming and I'm not one to do such. So I'm sincerely asking that you consider writing an article about it on your blog.. If you do would you please email me and let me know you did so? Thank you and I truly hope you consider this.

    HikingHikes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take care Mr XJ. Enjoyed the blog, got a bunch of good hiking tips along the way. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a bummer, man. But it's better to give up the blog than the trail. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ALWAYS ENOYED READING YOUR BLOG! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trekking in Nepal - Everest Case Camp trekking

    Mt Everest Case Camp trekking is found in Tibet & Nepal between the fences at an elevation of 5364m with Mount Everest both sides; the Nepal side has more natural beauty.

    This is where true adventure begins…
    This is one trip you don’t won’t to miss, & that’s why it’s aptly called the king of all trips. The journey begins with a flight to one of the highest landing airports in the world, & once we get off the twin otter, our eyes begin to take in the gigantic surroundings that stirs our emotions to the bone, as we sort out our equipment & the porters carry what has to be carried & our guides lead the way by the banks of the Dudh Kosi River. We clamber on our set trail through colorful villages as the panoramic scenery begins to take hold of us as we hike through farmlands & bump into the friendly sherpa folks, the local inhabitants of the ‘Khumbu’ {the original name of the Everest region}, known for their legendary climbing skills & warm welcoming nature; our walk soon brings us the the capital of the Khumbu, a thriving town called ‘Namche’, & this is where we get our first views of massive Everest & other silver grey peaks that literally stop the breath for a moment. Namche is the kind of town that will stun you for all the facilities it has within its boundaries, where you will find things not even available in the capital of Nepal, Kathmandu. Namche is the first outpost that gives you your first acclimatizing process which gets your body used to the higher elevations that come further on in the course of your trip.
    As we haul up for a night in Namche, we begin to observe many other fellow trekkers having a good time, of which some are on their way up while some are on their way down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hate to see the blog go but have been following you on your journey's for a while now. I wish you the best of luck and my parting gift is sharing these amazing hiking slogans I found. Enjoy: Hiking Slogans

    ReplyDelete
  14. the Salkantay Trek Cheap is an ancient and remote footpath located in the same region as the Inca Trail where massive snowcapped mountains collide with lush tropical rain forests.

    ReplyDelete